Monday, April 10, 2006

Financially, you can make bread!

I make Honey Whole-Wheat bread, 3 long loaves, or 4-5 short loaves at a time and knead it by hand. If we want a variation, I'll maybe use Molasses instead of part of the Honey or add some Oats, Rasins & Cinnamon or something else I can think of. There are SO MANY things you can use for spreads, and Sandwiches are easy planning. In a pinch, bread and cheese are great. One loaf of bread costs roughly $0.40 in ingredients! We eat anywhere from 2-4 loafs a day in my family. The best part is that it's good for you and tastes so much better then store-baught bread!

This is my sister-in-law's recipe that I use all the time.

5 1/2 Cups warm Water
1/2 Cup Honey
4 tsp Salt
1/3 Cup Oil
3 TBS Yeast
6 Cups Whole Wheat Flour.

Stir for 1 minute.

Add 6 more cups of flour, a little at a time.

Knead for 10 minutes. (You may use a mixer, but I always knead by hand). Let the dough rise in the bowl for 20-30 minutes, in a warm place ( 85 -100 degrees). Punch the dough, cut it into four sections, shape it into loafs and place them in four buttered bread pans. Let them rise again in a warm place for about 20-30 minutes, and bake for 30 minutes at 350. The Loaves should be golden brown. I usually butter the tops when I get them out, and wrap them in a big towel until they cool. (One loaf is usually eaten while it's still warm!)

I use Western Family Whole Wheat Flour, most of the time, and it works great with this recipe. Some flours vary just a little bit, so you'll get slightly different results.

1 Comments:

Blogger Princess_Fyara said...

I'm commenting on my own! Hey, just wanted to encourage you to find a recipe that works for YOU. You don't have to use my recipe, and you don't have to make so much of it. You can even use a bread machine! You will still get the cost benefits and the wonderful flavor.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home